Generator Technician – Level II
Generator technician install, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain diesel and natural gas generators and engines ranging from 20 kW up to 2000 kW. The person in this role is responsible for identifying, troubleshooting, diagnosing and providing quality repairs of electrical generator systems and related engine mechanical failures. Manufacturers included Caterpillar, Multiquip, Kohler, Cummins, Generac, Olympian, etc.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities|
- Perform basic preventive maintenance and assists others in performing intermediate and advanced corrective maintenance tasks
- Uses basic knowledge of engine / generator mechanical and electrical operation to perform tasks or assist others
- Replaces batteries, belts and hoses; changes and/or tops off oil and filters
- Properly and completely fills out all service reports, PM checklists and timecards within department guidelines; Ensures they are legible and accurate with sufficient detail for service accounting needs
- Works on a flexible work schedule 24x7x365 and responds to emergency calls as needed
- Works in a neat, orderly, and safe manner, constantly seeking to improve methods and promote the safety of others
- Obtains pre-assigned work orders by schedule date, customer name, service level and locate / load parts, check for any special instructions; Travels to job site, performs scope of work, provides detailed computerized template report and time card upon work assignment completion for daily accountability
- Proficiently and accurately evaluate, test, diagnose and troubleshoot basic and intermediate problems on gas or diesel engines and generators (out of fuel, dead battery, etc.); Give recommendations for and make associated repairs Communicate, plan, complete, and document all troubleshooting and repair procedures within standard repair times
- Performs Load bank testing with full understanding of both Reactive/Resistive testing
- Performs block heater installation and installs battery chargers
- Attends training sessions as required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 2-4 years of experience in related field
- High school diploma or GED or equivalent years of relevant experience and/or training
- Graduation from Technician/Maintenance training program preferred
- Must be reliable, able to pass a drug test, possess a current and valid Texas driver’s license and maintain a good driving record
ESSENTIAL TOOLS (Technician Owned)
|Basic wrenches ⅜” to 1” (Metric & Standard)||Fluid pump|
|Basic screwdriver set||Jumper cables or booster pack|
|Basic pliers set||Flashlight|
|Filter wrench||Quality Multimeter|
|Basis Socket Set 3/8” to 1” (Metric & Standard)||Adjustable wrench set|
|Allen Wrench Set Up to ½” (Metric & Standard)||Amp Meter|
|Temperature Gun||Phase rotation meter|
- Basic personal computer skills, including electronic mail, routine data entry, basic word processing and spreadsheets, etc.
Preferred Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Must have an intermediate knowledge of diesel and gas drive power generation equipment
- Must be able to use a Fluke meter and amp probe
- Must demonstrate understanding of intermediate electrical concepts including Power Factor and Reactive / Resistive load testing
- Must demonstrate an understanding of intermediate mechanical, electrical and troubleshooting on diesel and/or gas engines and generator sets
- Must demonstrate ability to read, write and communicate orally in English
- Must be a self-starter, willing to listen and work with others, and possess a teamwork philosophy
Work Schedule, Environment & Physical Demands
Work Schedule: Typical Schedule: 7:00am – 4:00pm, Mon-Fri; after hours and weekend response on an “as needed” basis.
Environment: Outdoors and indoor shop environment with fumes or airborne particles; Very loud noise (examples: forklift, engine noise, load banks)
- Extensive physical activity performing strenuous daily activities primarily technical in nature.
- Must be able to exert more than 75 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects. Substantial movements (motion) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers in a repetitive manner; Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less).
- Ascending or descending ladders, scaffolding, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms; Bending legs downward and forward by bending leg and spine; Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances; Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Salary ranges from $21.00 – $27.00 per hour plus annual bonus (dependent upon experience)
- Competitive benefits package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401k, Phone Allowance
- Paid time off including vacation, holidays, sick leave, bereavement & parental leave
Our Core Values & Beliefs
- Customer Satisfaction – We aim to meet or surpass our customer’s expectations by providing the highest quality products and customer service.
- Accountability – We are personally accountable for delivering on our commitments.
- Communication – We encourage open, effective dialogue through the exchange of sharing of ideas and solutions through all levels of our company and our customers. We require that all such communication be timely, frequent, specific, and solution oriented.
- Integrity – We believe that to be successful, it is essential to operate at the highest levels of honesty, responsibility, and trust.
- Teamwork – We succeed because we help our co-workers to succeed in a collaborative, supportive, creative, and enjoyable environment.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION